Sunday, July 1, 2007

Thanking a soldier.

Laura made a comment to my post titled "My Soldier" and it got me thinking about something I want to share with all of you.
The day we took my son Kurt to the airport to catch a fight back to Iraq, it was a Saturday morning at Lambert Airport it was very busy with lots of folks hustling and bustling about.
I was amazed at all the families with young children preparing to board the airplane, with bags upon bags of luggage, car seats and toys to keep the kids busy while on the plane. There were also men in business suits, a group of teens possible going to do mission work and people from foreign lands probably returning home.
Everyone was in a hurry trying to make sure they were where they needed to be, had what they needed to have, and did not miss their flight. Kurt had made a few trips himself first in this line, then in another, finally asking an airport clerk if he could use the self-check in. Then while standing in one of the lines a gentleman walked up to Kurt and put out his hand and while shaking hands he said "
Thank you for your service."
I tell you at that moment I thought my heart was going to explode from all the pride I felt for my son. I know we see this sentiment on signs, bumper stickers, web sites, etc..., but when someone takes the time out of their busy day to say an honest heart felt "Thank You" it means so much more.
So if you are like the gentleman in the airport, or like Laura, and take the time out of your day to say thank you a soldier and his family please know that I say "Thank you" to you from the bottom of my hear. It is your kindness that helps make this time in our lives a little more bearable.

1 comment:

NeNe said...

Now I am going to cry!

Laura